Minutes of the January 4, 2023 Steering Committee Meeting

Ann Hart Meeting/Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the Mueller Neighborhood Association (MNA) Steering Committee

January 4, 2023

The Zoom meeting was called to order at 7:06 pm by Committee Chair Greg Keller.  The meeting was recorded and archived.

Steering Committee (SC) Members present: Joy Butler, Brett Hall, Ann Hart, Greg Keller, Meisha-Ann Martin, Chris Ruzin, Sarah Seraj, Preston Tyree, and Kaz Wojtewicz.

Guests present: Andrew Clements, Ani Colt, Ted Herr, Jason Sears, Kathy Sokolic, Marta White, Snow White 

Greg thanked everyone for attending and moved that we adopt Robert’s Rules of Order to run Steering Committee meetings from here on in.  Ann seconded.  During discussion, Greg shared his personal perspective on Robert’s Rules as well as a “cheat sheet” for future reference.  Motion carried.

Outgoing Treasurer Jason Sears shared December’s Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Statement.  As of 12/31/22, the MNA’s total equity was $18424.65.  Jason and newly-elected Treasurer Chris Ruzin will meet tomorrow to begin the transition process.  Steering Committee members expressed their heartfelt gratitude for Jason’s service.

Regarding the Front Porch Flyer, Kathy Sokolic is still waiting for a new quote for the total cost if the publisher were to print more copies for apartment residents and possibly deliver them directly to each apartment.  She will report back to the Steering Committee as soon as she receives new information.

Next was a brief discussion of next steps with regards to the Bylaws.  Preston suggested an examination of each committee listed in the Bylaws to ascertain activity level and viability.  Andrew Clements added that presenting Amendments to the Bylaws in “bites” to the General Membership could be more effective than disseminating one huge document.  Discussion tabled in the interest of time, to be continued at the next meeting.

Looking ahead to the January General Meeting and the February Steering Committee, Greg opened a conversation about the most effective way to develop agendas and schedule meetings.  After some discussion of how things were done in 2022, Greg suggested using Google Sheets for agendas and Doodle for meeting dates.

Following up on the proposed Orientation Packet, all agreed that it would be helpful for Steering Committee members and Subcommittee Chairs.  Preston agreed to start working on items to be included.

Greg mentioned the need to file Form 990 with the IRS and asked a couple questions about our liability insurance coverage.  Since no one present had firsthand knowledge, he’ll reach out to Koreena Malone for background and also search the Google Drive.

With regards to internal Steering Committee communication, Kaz suggested that we use a group tool of some sort rather than e-mail.  He will research some possibilities and report back.

Kaz shared an idea from the Transportation Subcommittee about setting up a couple B-Cycle stations in Mueller.  Based on the subcommittee’s preliminary research, this idea would entail the Mueller POA submitting a proposal to CapMetro and probably making a financial commitment.  On behalf of the subcommittee, Kaz requested a letter of support from the Steering Committee to be forwarded to the POA.  SC members were receptive but not ready to act on this item.

Greg requested help developing a basic organizational chart for the entire MNA (e.g. Steering Committee, subcommittees, standing committees).  Greg’s most immediate need in this regard is for an accurate list of the current Steering Committee.  Sarah agreed to assist.

Greg opened a brief discussion about content on the MNA website and Facebook page and MNA communication with neighbors, in general.  By way of example, he drew SC members’ attention to a recent opinion piece on the MNA website posted by without SC approval.  SC members agreed that this topic was too big and important to take on at that point in the evening.  A special SC meeting will be scheduled via Doodle poll to continue this discussion.

Greg raised some questions about access to the Google Drive.  It’s clear that many neighbors have access to the Drive and access should be tightened up.  Sarah will go ahead and grant access to new SC members right away.  The broader questions surrounding access were tabled.

Sarah noted the importance of scheduling, publicizing, and recruiting volunteers for the four signature events (i.e.  Spring Fling, Eid, Fourth of July, and Fall Fest) as soon as possible.  She added that she welcomes suggestions for new event sponsors.

Finally, SC members acknowledged the e-mailed resignations of Shelly Baldwin, Erin Gaines and Mary Ellen Mondi.

The date of the next SC meeting will be determined by Doodle Poll.  The next General Meeting is scheduled for Saturday, January 21st at 10am.

The meeting adjourned at 9:21 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Hart, MNA Secretary

Note that all documents mentioned in these minutes are considered part of the meeting record.