May 21st, 2022, General Meeting

Koreena Malone Meeting Minutes, Mueller Neighborhood Association

Please join us for the monthly Mueller Neighborhood Association General Meeting this Saturday morning at 10:00 AM. We’ll also be live on MNA Facebook

Date:  Saturday, May 21st, 2022
Time:  10:00 AM – 11:30 AM

Due to Covid-19, our meetings are currently being held online using Zoom.

Join Zoom Meeting

ID: 960 7276 1148 Passcode: 766787

MNA General Meeting Agenda – May 21st, 2022

  • Welcome and thank you AAPI Month by Koreena Malone (3 mins)
  • March and April Financial Reports by Jason Sears (3 mins) Not able to attend
  • Equity Team Update (Book Club / Training) by Joy Butler (5 mins). 
  • PIAC Update by Michael Jones (5 mins) 
  • POA and POA Transition update by Kathy Sokolic (15 mins)
  • Event Evaluation  – Yard Sale, Spring Fling 4/23, and Eid 5/7 by Koreena Malone (25 mins)
  • Call for Organizer for possible events; Shredding, 4th of July or another / other Summer Fun Event by Koreena Malone (10 mins)
  • Kensington Update by Josh Rudrow and Koreena Malone(10 mins) Not able to attend
  • Bylaws Committee Update by Shelly Baldwin (5 mins) 
  • Call for Volunteer for Sponsorship Chair and Tech support by Koreena Malone (5 mins)
  • Update – Location for Steering Committee and General Membership Meetings by Koreena Malone (10 mins)

    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Meetings Minutes approved by SC on July 6th, 2022

Minutes of the Mueller Neighborhood Association (MNA)

May 21, 2022

The Zoom meeting was called to order at 10:05 am by Chair Koreena Malone.  Koreena live streamed the meeting on Facebook and recorded the Zoom session.

Steering Committee (SC) Members present:  Shelly Baldwin, Joy Butler, Ann Hart, Koreena Malone, Sarah Seraj and Marta White, ex officio

A quorum of neighbors was present. 

Koreena welcomed everyone and, in recognition of Asian American/Pacific Islander Day, asked people to name their favorite Asian restaurants.

Financial Report—Treasurer Jason Sears was unavailable so Koreena gave a very brief update.  The MNA is in excellent financial shape thanks to increased membership and two big events (Spring Fling and Eid) that came in under-budget.  On behalf of the entire neighborhood, Koreena thanked Kathy Sokolic of Realty Austin for her ongoing sponsorship.  Jason will provide a detailed financial report at the next meeting.

Joy Butler shared an update from the Equity Team.  The Book Club is soliciting suggestions for the next book.  Podcasts are also being considered. 

Regarding the “White People Working for Racial Justice” training, there will be four sessions in September and October.  Meetings will be on Sunday afternoons from 3:30-8pm.  Cost is $500 per person with a limited number of scholarships available.  Registration is now open.

Micheal Jones reported that the Mueller Commission/PIAC (Plan Implementation Advisory Committee) met Tuesday, March 8th at 6pm at the Austin Energy Office.  They focused on a number of issues related to the future of Mueller.  Affordability is high on the priority list.  Use of Mueller’s parks and green space is also a major concern.  

Kathy Sokolic shared an update from the POA Transition Committee.  The team has a long list of goals with volunteer recruitment being one of the top priorities.  In fact, establishing a “Recruitment Committee” is a critical first step towards finding neighbors to take on various tasks.

Koreena led a discussion evaluating Spring Fling and Eid.  Both events were very well-organized and well-attended.  She thanked Danielle Henderson for heading up Spring Fling and Saba, Joy, and Samnia (sp?) for coordinating Eid.  Among other notes for the future, Koreena emphasized the importance of making sure everyone in the neighborhood feels welcome and included.

Looking toward future events, Fourth of July is the next holiday the neighborhood typically celebrates.  Lisa R., Andrew Clements, and Marta White agreed to coordinate that event this year. They will get to work right away. 

Other proposed events are a Shredding Day, a Back-to-School Clothing Exchange, and Fall Fest (already funded by Ascension).  Joy mentioned the importance of safety and security, especially as the neighborhood grows.  That topic will be added to the next Steering Committee agenda.    

Shelly Baldwin reported that the Bylaws Committee had completed their line-by-line review of the MNA Bylaws and plans to present a list of recommendations to the Steering Committee in July.

Koreena closed the meeting with a plea for help with tech support and sponsorships.  She will share the request with more neighbors via Facebook.

The meeting adjourned at 11:45 am.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Hart, MNA Secretary

Next Steering Committee Meeting:  July 6th

Next General Meeting:  July 16th